Email Marketing for HVAC Contractors
Most HVAC companies rely on social media and SEO to gain leads and attract new customers. While those are tried and true tactics, you can add another strategy to your digital marketing arsenal that is convenient, low-cost and flexible.
That new weapon is email marketing.
In a highly competitive field such as HVAC services, you need every strategy you can get to acquire new leads and retain your existing customer base. What better way to do that than with inbox-to-inbox customer communication?
This article will show how email marketing can boost lead generation, nurture customer relationships and encourage upsells.
Is email marketing useful for HVAC contractors?
When used effectively, email marketing is a powerful tool that can enhance your marketing strategy.
The HVAC industry thrives on maintaining current customer relationships. In this industry, existing customers are your bread and butter – regulars typically get priority in services and discounts, and the longer the contract, the happier everyone is.
At the same time, continuous expansion is the ultimate goal of this business. Luckily, there are plenty of opportunities to do so, even though the HVAC industry is notably seasonal.
Since the entire HVAC system is designed as an optimal response to environmental factors, there are times of the year that see peak business expansion opportunities.
New opportunities might pop up during the start of winter when panicked homeowners call on you for home service and furnace upgrades. New buildings might need rush air conditioning installations as the summer months approach. Maintenance and repairs for existing customers also follow this seasonal rhythm.
With such dynamic and seasonal business patterns, you’ll need a flexible, targeted, and efficient marketing strategy to reach the optimal audiences at the right time.
Email marketing can be particularly ideal for HVAC contractors.
- Audience curation. Services like HVAC cater to various individuals and businesses that require a wide array of services, making blanket campaigns difficult. With an HVAC email marketing campaign, you can curate your audience to receive the right promotions and specials that suit their needs.
- Customizability. To stay competitive, you need to create personalized campaigns that target specific benefits that your customers can relate to. This is only possible with a highly customizable tool such as an email marketing platform.
- Automation. HVAC is a highly seasonal business. Services, promotions, and campaigns can vary widely depending on the season. Email marketing allows you to automate these dynamic changes in your marketing to remove the pain from your campaign.
- Lead generation. Since email marketing lets you target specific audiences, you can target email marketing campaigns to follow up on frequent site visitors, unsold quotes, and even referrals to boost lead generation.
- Convenience. Automated email marketing campaigns are much more efficient than hiring a full-time customer relations staff to nurture each marketing strategy.
Email marketing ensures a cost-effective means of reaching specific audiences with your marketing campaigns, enhancing relationships and improving lead generation.
How HVAC businesses can start an email marketing campaign
In this interconnected and information-saturated world, email marketing is one of the most efficient ways of promoting your business. If you work in the HVAC industry, then you understand the value of having a highly targeted and dynamic marketing strategy that you can use to nurture current customers while expanding your business at the same time.
But how exactly do you begin this process?
Starting an email marketing strategy requires specific steps, but anyone can do it as long as they know what the steps are.
That said, it can’t be denied that launching an email marketing campaign is easier when you have a suitable platform such as Broadly.
Here are some specific steps for launching your email marketing campaign.
Identify your goals
Everything begins with goal setting. Before you go through the more technical steps of an email marketing strategy, you need to have a general direction that all your email marketing efforts can point towards.
Your email marketing goals are what you want to achieve with this campaign. Do you want to increase your reach? Minimize wasted business opportunities? Maybe you have plenty of active regulars but you are looking to boost your follow-up and upselling efforts?
This part is crucial because it will serve as a roadmap. If you don’t know your goals before starting your campaign, you’re pretty much just a lost traveler wandering without a direction. To avoid this, meet with your team and hash out your email marketing goals before proceeding. Think big and be ambitious.
Pick the right platform
Although your goals drive the direction of your email marketing efforts, there’s much more to your strategy. Without the right platform, achieving your goals can be unnecessarily complicated.
Having the right email marketing platform will make your journey easier. Now that you’ve identified your goals, pick the email marketing features that enable you to achieve those goals quickly. Here are some examples of how your dreams can correlate with platform features.
- Automation. To reduce time spent on tabs and clicks, you can choose platforms with powerful automation features that streamline administrative tasks and deliver quick results.
- Analytics. Some email marketing platforms feature stellar analytics that enables you to comprehensively profile your audience and provide campaign projections. These media types are best if you’re looking to optimize your targeting capacity.
- No-frills. If you’re still new to email marketing, you’ll want a platform that gives you everything you need without advanced features that you may not need at the start of your journey. Starting simple can help you master the basics and keep you from getting overwhelmed.
Different email marketing platforms have diverse features that appeal to various customers. HVAC service providers should evaluate their goals and capacity to pick the best platform to suit their needs.
If you want a highly competent, all-around email marketing platform, check out Broadly.
Broadly is a reputation management platform that includes email marketing features. Broadly’s email marketing service allows you to easily curate audiences with just a few clicks and deliver personalized promotions to specific groups of customers.
Build an email list for HVAC marketing
With the right goals and platform to support them, you can now build your email list.
Email addresses are private information, and you generally can’t utilize them until permission is given. Thus, email marketers use various strategies to get returning and new customers to willingly sign up for their email list.
Here are some popular strategies for building an HVAC marketing email list.
- Build a following. When you have a following, more people will want to see what you have to offer. You can create a big following by continuously putting out valuable information, such as informative or entertaining content.
- Give something in return. Email marketers routinely offer something in exchange for signing up, such as whitepapers, ebooks, and informative guides.
- Highlight the benefits. Aside from the free stuff, what will your audience get by signing up for your email list? Highlight the perks of being on your email lists, such as personalized promotions, discounts, and exclusive content.
Understand email types
With a growing email list, you’re now on the way to being a great email marketer. But wait – just what kinds of emails should you be sending again?
Email marketing isn’t just greeting your audiences and sending holiday-appropriate promotions. There are several email types that can be used to maximize your email marketing capacity.
- Promotional. We are all most familiar with these types of emails. Ideally, promotional emails deliver relevant and personalized promotions to specific audiences.
- Transactional. Transactional emails are the types you send before or after transactions. This includes welcome messages, purchase confirmations, quotation follow-ups, and requests for feedback or online reviews.
- Relational. These emails are sent to enhance customer trust and relationships. They can be the exclusive content you promised, like newsletters, informational guides and gifts.
Create a unique HVAC email template
An email template doesn’t just help your emails look organized in your audience’s inbox; it also has additional advantages.
An email template will help you create a sense of uniformity in all your emails. Uniformity sends a message of professionalism, embodying your brand and reinforcing your identity in your customer’s minds.
Plus, a template reduces the administrative load of creating email campaigns because you will have a good starting point.
Work with a professional designer to create an email template that fits your brand. Design, subject lines, content and tone must all be on-brand. And this isn’t just a one-off process. You need to collect data, test various approaches and continually refine your templates to arrive at the ideal configurations.
You can then use this specific template every time you send or launch an email marketing campaign.
Be sure to track and test your email campaigns
Like all of your other marketing strategies, email campaigns should be data-driven.
Therefore, you should monitor customer experiences and track all of your email campaigns with the analytics services that your email marketing platforms provide or a third-party email analytics service.
Some specific metrics that you will want to track during email campaigns include:
- Delivery and open rate
- Emails that go into the spam folder
- Opening and click-through rate
- Leads, link clicks and web visit rate
- Costs and conversions
Don’t forget to respond to emails
The last and simplest form of engagement is also one of the most powerful. Responding to email inquiries makes your business very appealing to customers.
It exudes professionalism, but it also gives a human face to your business, making it friendlier and more approachable.
Always respond to emails to build customer relationships, regardless if they’re questions about your services, complaints, or feedback. Customers are more likely to trust your business going forward when they feel heard.
That said, don’t forget that there are proper ways of responding to customer emails. It’s critical to address feedback or complaints appropriately to continuously build trust within the relationship.
Start your HVAC email campaign with Broadly
The HVAC industry is an interesting case study of what a competent email marketing platform can do when appropriately utilized.
With a comprehensive email marketing strategy, your HVAC service business can cater to extremely personalized demands, even though those demands might fluctuate seasonally. You can keep your current customers happy with these capabilities while expanding your business year-round!
For your budding HVAC company that needs a good email marketing platform, Broadly is the way to go.
Broadly has everything you need in an email marketing platform: automation, customer curation and content customizability. More than that, it’s also a robust reputation management platform that can help you supercharge your online presence, more than just email marketing.
Does this sound like something you can use? Schedule a demo today!